Four Word Love Story, DeviantArt, 2014
please destroy the idea that making fanart takes less effort/creativity as making original art
“The Wrist Charger, or as we like to call it, Bracer of Battery Life +2, straps comfortably to your wrist and plugs in to just about any electronic device you like.” - ThinkGeek.com
nasa trying to eat the moon
Book idea: a dog named Maddie who stands on things?
We may not feel like we’re making much progress… and we may relapse… over and over… but everyday we are getting stronger.
As long as you never give in, as long as you keep fighting, you WILL recover.
i want my children to grow up barefoot running through the woods. I want them to know the feeling of the trees growing around them, to recognize the gurgle of a stream before they see it, to know the taste of a blackberry from a bush long before the taste of a chip. I want my children to experience the earth we came from through touch, not pictures, and video games. And I want to be right there with them through all of it.
I want my children to grow up in nature, this is true. To love the outdoors, to thrive in the woods, to bask in the sun and the moon and the stars, yes of course. But I want my children to also know the importance of stories. Of narratives. Of art and literature and music. I want them to participate in these however they wish. I want to see them grow and develop and think critically and imagine and build worlds I’d never dreamed of and save them over and over. I want my children to marvel at archetecture and technology, to see that which is and try to imagine something even better. to live in the wonderful future we can give them until they can give themselves something even better. I want my children to love books and movies and music and buildings and computers and video games just as much as I do, if not more, and I want them to get excited about stories and concepts and I want to watch them learn and for them to tell me all about it. But most of all, if I do one day have children, I want my children to be happy and to get their pleasure in whatever ways work best for them.
Dark Ages, Schmark Ages. The De-Textbook cuts through that and so much more fake-fact bullshit.
cloudy with a chance of witch burning
your periodic reminder that a good chunk of Europe basically shat the bed for a few centuries while everyone else kinda did their thing.
I am sorry I’m going to be that person.
This map is extremely inaccurate.
1) China was not going through business as usual China was going through the TANG DYNASTY i.e. the Golden Age of Chinese culture, which would lay down legal and social and poetic norms for the rest of Chinese history. The Tang is so influential that a lot of languages call Chinese people 唐人 (People from Tang.) (We call Chinese people “people from Qin” so.)
2) Japan is _first becoming literate_ during this time period (due to the influence of the Tang they adopt Chinese script), which is a BFD for poetry, religion, politics, society. Japanese court culture develops, which near the end of this period (11th century, around the time Europe enters “high middle ages”) will produce The Tale of Genji (by a totally awesome woman named Murasaki),widely regarded as the world’s first novel because of it’s deft use of irony and social commentary.
3) The southern part of Korea is experiencing the emergence of Unified Silla, a state that will last the entire period and will see the importation of Chinese and Indian buddhism, the construction of the first Confucian college in Korea, and so on.
4) In Mesoamerica, the Mayans are inventing astronomy, writing (the third and final independent invention of writing in human history), and a whole crapload of other stuff. This is the triumph of their culture.
5) The Umayyads in Spain are a massive center of technology, learning, and (comparative) religious toleration.
6) The Eastern Roman Empire, which spans both the green and yellow portions of your map, isn’t doing too badly either, bouncing back after losing territory to the Caliphate.
7) The Polynesians are colonizing the ENTIRE PACIFIC using amazing advanced navigation technology not rivaled until the INVENTION OF GPS.
8) I am not equipped to talk about Sub-Saharan Africa in detail (cue rant about how we never learn about subsaharan africa in the western educational system) but you can bet there are some major, amazing developments going on there too. I’d be shocked if there weren’t.
9) HOLY SHIT INDIA.
11) THEY WEREN’T BURNING WITCHES IN EUROPE DURING THE MIGRATION PERIOD (dark ages). Witch burning took off in the EARLY MODERN PERIOD, nearly 1000 years after this. Europe was going through some tough shit, which would leave them backwards compared to the rest of the world for 1000 years, but also there were some amazing things happening there, at least have the decency to be like “angry dudes with swords stabbing people” not WITCH BURNINGS FFS.
12) And ABSOLUTELY Islamic Caliphate was a totally amazing flowering of intellectual, artistic, and spiritual culture, a mixing pot between a thousand cultures and languages, and totally amazing. Don’t in any way want to diminish that in any way.
PLEASE ALWAYS BE THAT PERSON
youtuber gets angry that girls like music
People blown over in streets as Storm Ivar hits Norway
makin’ my way dOWNTO—-
MAKIN’ MY WAY UPTOWN
not gonna lie at first I thought these people were really good at the Smooth Criminal lean
step 1. buy several hundred bags of miniature marshmallows
step 2. somehow get upwind
step 3. open the bags and let the sugary puffs fly free
step 4. enjoy the sight of people getting absolutely pelted with marshmallows
step 5. ?????????
step 6. profit